DIY Mala Necklace
What is a Mala? (source)
A mala has many names and is also referred to as yoga beads, meditation beads, prayer beads, mala necklace, japa mala, yoga necklace, yoga jewelry, rosary and mala beads.
The Components of a Mala
- The 108 beads (crystals, seeds or wooden beads)
- Counter or spacer beads at certain numerical intervals
- The thread
- The knots between the beads
- The Guru, Meru or Sumeru Bead
- The Tassel
- The types of beads used
- The Diety and mantra that the beads are associated with
If you ‘d like to read more about the Mala and its significance, see this post from Mala Kamala.